Kenya Fluorspar Company is committed to protecting the Environment, Health and Safety of Our employees. We recognize that by integrating sound environmental, health, and safety management practices into all aspects of our business, we can offer technologically innovative products and services while conserving and enhancing resources for future generations.
We further recognize an obligation to demonstrate safety and environmental leadership by maintaining the highest standards and by serving as an example to our employees and to the community at large.
- Meet or exceed all applicable environmental, health and safety requirements. We evaluate our EHS performance by monitoring ongoing performance results and through periodic management reviews.
- Provide a safe and healthful workplace and ensure that personnel are properly trained and have appropriate safety and emergency equipment.
- Be an environmentally responsible neighbour in the communities where we operate, and act promptly and responsibly to correct incidents or conditions that endanger health, safety, or the environment. Report them to authorities promptly and inform affected parties as appropriate.
- Use development and processes that do not adversely affect the environment, including developing and improving operations and technologies to minimize waste, prevent air, water, and other pollution, minimize health and safety risks, and dispose of waste safely and responsibly.
- Strive to create products that are safe in their intended use, conserve energy and materials, and prevent pollution throughout the product life cycle including design, manufacture, use, and end-of-life management.
- Participate in efforts to improve environmental protection and understanding around the world and share appropriate pollution prevention technology, knowledge and methods.
- Meet or exceed all applicable government requirements and voluntary requirements to which Kenya Fluorspar subscribes. Set and adhere to stringent requirements of our own no matter where in the world the company does business.
- Strive to continually improve KFC’s Environmental and Health and Safety management systems and performance, and periodically issue annual audit reports to the National Environment Management Authority (NEMA) and Directorate of Occupational Safety and Services (DOSHS) respectively.
- Conduct rigorous audits and self-assessments of KFC’s compliance with this policy, measure progress of KFC’s environmental performance through the implementation of the Environmental Management plan, and report regularly to the Board of Directors.
- Ensure that all employees are aware of their role and responsibility to fulfill and sustain Kenya Fluorspar Company’s environmental, health and safety management systems and policy.
- Every employee and every contractor on KFC premises is expected to follow this policy and to report any environmental, health, or safety concern to Kenya Fluorspar Company’s management. Any member of the Management team is expected to take prompt action.
Environment, Health and Safety Programs
Several programs have been launched to monitor and eliminate any possible Environment, Health and Safety risks resultant from the mining and mineral processing operations. The purpose of KFC’s Environmental, Health and Safety Programs are to:
- Provide Employees, Contractors, and visitors with a safe and healthy work environment
- Develop safety awareness among employees and others engaged in work for KFC so that accidents (personal injuries and property damage) and occupational illnesses will be reduced to a minimum
- Identify and control safety, employees’ health, and environmental hazards associated with their operations
- Work constructively with government agencies and others to develop and implement laws, regulations, and standards to protect public health, safety, and the environment, and
- Work with the Company’s management to assure adequate funding and staffing for environmental health and safety programs.
Environmental programs implemented include;
- A recycling project of $170 000 in which 100% of the process wastewater is re-used in the plant process and this has resulted in completely eliminating soil, surface and groundwater pollution. A major benefit is that fresh water consumption from the rivers has decreased considerably.
- Water qualities are monitored on a monthly basis in all the water areas to ensure compliance with regulatory standards and that the quality of rivers’ water is not affected by our mining and operational activities;
- Reduction of dust emissions, spillages and other pollutants arising from the operations were addressed. At the plant, spray systems were installed on conveyers and stockpiles and trucks transporting the concentrate are now required to use tarpaulins and ensure they are properly lined;
- Promoting greening campaigns to rehabilitate mined out pits, tailing dams and degraded habitats around the company premises.;
- Conducting of annual environmental audits since 2004 as per NEMA requirements to monitor and evaluate the effectiveness and progress of the environmental management system against the environmental management plan;
- Conducting of a comprehensive energy audit and implementing several energy saving measures;
- Involvement of the community in tree planting initiatives at the local schools and community projects.
- The Company is directly and indirectly involved in the planting of approximately 9 000 trees annually;
- Establishment of a tree nursery from which we source indigenous tree species suitable for the area of which some are donated to interested stakeholders to plant in the environment;
- We have three demonstration farms where prospective farmers are educated on sound agricultural practices;
- Participation in sporting events where the theme has an environmental connotation.
- Energy management Program; Energy management team has been constituted. The team’s mandate is to assist the Company in designing measures to conserve energy.
Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Programs
The company practices a comprehensive risk management safety programme aimed at continuous improvement and awareness of safety and occupational health.
- Risk assessments aimed at eliminating, reducing or controlling hazards or potential risks are continually performed.
- Annual health and safety audits are performed to measure compliance against Company policy and statutory requirements.
- Safety representatives have undergone full training including first aid training to equip them for the task in their work environment.
- Monthly safety meetings attended by Management, Heads of Department and all safety representatives are held.
- Other forum where safety is a regular item on the agenda includes toolbox meetings in the workshop, union meetings, residential estate committee meetings and daily planning talks.
- Washing of personal protective clothing; The Company has offered cleaning of personal protective clothing. This ensure employees does not carry home contaminated used clothing from the workplace
- Medical examination program; Based on the type of work employees are performing, including considerations of factors such as the duration of the task, the materials being used, and the potential for exposure, medical surveillance is performed.